Monday, November 14, 2011

Blog 7


I was quite curious when I found out that we were going to be talking about abortion in class on this past Tuesday. I had always heard many different opinions on pro life vs. pro choice but I had never discussed it in a classroom setting. I was interested to find out what the different peoples’ views were on the topic. I was surprised to find out there were more than just the black and white version of pro-life vs. pro-choice positions.  Some of these varied views including those by Warren, Thompson, and Marques. Each of these views fascinated me and really opened my eyes to different opinions.  I especially thought that the point that Warren made stating that by the 3rd trimester the “child” has more rights was quite controversial and more extreme than anything I had ever encountered.  
I have varied thoughts on where I stand when it comes to abortion. Under circumstances such as rape, or when pregnancies are endangering the mother, I feel as though it is hard to not allow those people a choice in such situations. Abortion has correlations to our previous topic of passive and active euthanasia.  Both the case-by-case necessity in decision-making as well as the overall controversial nature of the topic is quite similar to abortion issues. Overall, I found this class discussion enthralling and sparked my curiosity to consider different view points on the topic. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree Kayla, what we learned in class was very interesting. I also found Warren's interesting point about the baby in the 3rd trimester has more rights because it is nearly fully developed. I also struggle with abortion in certain circumstances where the mother is in serious danger or a rape victim. I found it interesting that in class we discussed the differences between a mother who absolutely cannot have the baby or a mother who can but doesn't want the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you brought up the similarities between active and passive euthanasia and abortion. These topics definitely spark the same controversies. I find that I tend to take the same view on both sides. These situations should be handled on a case to case basis. The only problem that ensues is that each situation is almost always debatable. I feel that maybe instead of a general blanket ruling for these subject, maybe we should elect a panel to weed apart the socially acceptable, or not cases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can also say that I was anxious to see how a class discussion about abortion would go. It's such a deep, controversial subject that I was a little nervous. I didn't know what to expect, or how much of an opinion people would have on abortion. However, I enjoyed learning more about it and the different view types. I also agree with you that in a situation of rape or an endangered pregnancy, it's hard not to see abortion as being acceptable. However, I think in any other circumstance, it should not be accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had never really given much thought to the non-black vs. white issue of this topic. Growing up in a relatively conservative home there was only two sides to the issue when discussing it, though there was an unspoken understanding and exception to the idea that abortion was wrong if it pertained to the health of the mother, or if the child was the result of rape or some other unfortunate situation.

    ReplyDelete